Our Financial Columnist
“Fin-glish to English,” is David Holland’s answer to the complicated world of personal finances. David is a CERITIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ with the special ability to translate complicated financial topics into everyday, plain English. Since 1997, David has owned and operated Holland Financial, a financial services firm inOrmond Beach,Florida. Drawing from his twenty plus years of experience, David has written two books on personal finance, hosts a daily radio show, and produces a weekly television show. David now writes a weekly column on investing and retirement issues for our members.
Get with the Program! – Build Your Plan for Retirement Security read more
Finances are top of mind for most consumers. Savers and retirees are being pummeled by near zero interest rates. The stock market has taught everyone what the word “volatility” really means. Many people are also worried about inflation and the uncertain future of social security. Understandably, polls show that people are more afraid of running out of money in retirement than death itself! Ironically, at a time when the need for financial advice has never been greater, consumer trust of financial advisers is low. Part of what makes David different from other financial commentators, and much of what he brings to his column, books, TV, and radio is his current, real world experience of helping hundreds of couples and individuals plan their financial futures. David’s message for American baby-boomers and retirees is straightforward: seek simplicity, certainty, and less risk as you move into and through your retirement years. Getting your “retirement right” doesn’t have to be hard, complicated, or stressful. David’s weekly columns are designed to help our members make smart decisions about their money and their retirements.
For more information about David, his books, or services, please visit www.davidholland.com.
David grew up in the quiet little town ofBunnell,Florida, raised by parents who were both teachers. Small towns have a way of imbuing honesty, reliability, and responsibility . . . with a population of 2,000, you just couldn’t get away with anything because everybody knows everybody (and your Mom knew the mischief you may have gotten into – even before you got home!) After graduating from aFloridauniversity, David began his career as a CPA for an international accounting firm in 1991. David quickly learned that this job required objectivity, reasoning, and a healthy dose of skepticism. Those attributes merged with David’s small town upbringing has made him who his is today . . . a knowledgeable and honest financial adviser who helps each of his clients as if he or she were the only one.
Coming from a family of teachers, education was, shall we say, “encouraged” when David was growing up. This passion for learning took hold early on and continues today. David has earned the following professional credentials: Certified Public Accountant (he passed on the first sitting), Chartered Financial Consultant, Chartered Life Underwriter, Certified Financial Planner, Personal Financial Specialist, Certified Annuity Specialist, and Certified Income Specialist. David is an investment adviser representative of Holland Advisory Services, Inc., a registered investment advisory firm. David is also licensed in certain states to offer life, disability, long-term care insurance as well fixed annuity products. David spends about 75% of his time giving financial advice to people who are already retired or who want to be someday. Writing books and hosting his radio and TV shows consume the other 25% of his workweek. He resides inOrmond Beach,Floridawith his wife and three children. He spends most of his personal time with his family. Early morning cycling is his “decompression time.”